We made this dish for a dinner party along with 4 other Epicurious Challenge Recipes! Killin' it! And thankfully the people who were dining with us really liked beets. This was encouraging because it would at least help me understand if I cooked them properly!
Another big caveat with this post is that I'm not a huge fan of the photos we took. We had a TON of great prep photos but when it got to the final dish, after making a 5-course dinner, we didn't get the best final photo. So no judgments please!
Beet lovers: try this out and tell us what you think!
Epicurious Challenge Recipe: 35/138
Prep: 20 mins Cook: 1 hour 20 minutes Serves: 4-6
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wash beets leaving a little bit of water on the skin.
- Wrap beets individually with foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender when poked with a knife, about one hour. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the peels and pith from all of the oranges and discard.
- Over a medium bowl, squeeze the juice of 2 blood oranges - but make sure there are no seeds or membranes in the bowl.
- Slice remaining blood orange and navel orange crosswise into thin rounds. Place in bowl and top with lemon and lime juice.
- Peel cooled beets. Slice 2 beets crosswise into rounds. Cut other 2 beets into wedges.
- Strain citrus juices from medium bowl into a smaller bowl and set aside.
- Start to plate salad by evenly placing beets, then oranges, then fennel onto plates.
- Spoon reserved citrus juices then drizzle generously with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let salad stand for 5 minutes to let flavors meld.
- Garnish with parsley and serve!