I decided to use a flavored balsamic - not something we use lightly because balsamic is so good on its own, often the flavors added are quite bizarre. The one we used was fig flavored, which added even more layers to this yummy and light dessert.
Side note: this is another double recipe! One recipe is the dish as a whole and the other is the balsamic caramel.
Epicurious Challenge Recipe: 47 & 48/138
- In a 1 1/2 quart heavy saucepan, add sugar, water, and anise seeds and bring to a boil.
- Boil syrup and stir by gently swirling the pan, until mixture is a golden caramel color.
- Reduce heat to low and carefully stir in balsamic vinegar (at this point, mixture will steam and caramel will harden). Stir until caramel is dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Cut peel, including all white pith, from oranges with a sharp knife, then slice oranges crosswise.
- In bowls or plates, separate the oranges. Drizzle with the warm sauce and serve.