Epicurious Challenge Recipe: 49/138
Cook: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- In an 8-quart pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, until hot.
- Add carrot, onion, and celery. Sauté for 8-10 minutes. Onions should be soft and translucent.
- Add potatoes, kale, and cabbage, and cook another 5 minutes, until cabbage is wilted.
- Add tomatoes and break up into pieces with a spoon.
- Add water to the pot -- enough to cover the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, let simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Soup should thicken.
- Add beans and bread. Continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes, until bread's crust is falling apart.
- Taste to see if you need more seasoning, then serve with an additional drizzle of olive oil.